By David Howard, Installed Specialist
Over the last few years there have been many changes in the oil industry. Let’s dive into changes in technology.
Think about how much vehicles have changed in the past few years. What may come to mind are all the new electronics, smart sensors, assisted driving features and more, but what’s less noticeable are the significant changes taking place under the hood.
Engine technology is evolving rapidly in response to three factors:
- Legislated and social pressure to reduce carbon emissions
- Consumers’ desire for lower fuel consumption which leads to cost savings
- Demand for more engine power while still fulfilling numbers one and two.
By 2025, U.S. federal mandates call for a Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency (CAFE) of 54.5 miles per gallon. That doesn’t mean every car has to meet that standard, but that every manufacturer must meet that as an average across their entire fleet, which may span a range of vehicles from large SUVs and pickups to small hybrids and electric cars. (For comparison, the average today is 35.5 mpg.)
Author: David Lee, Chevron Corporation
What does this mean for you? There are a couple takeaways worth noting:
- The growth of hybrid vehicle manufacturing will most assuredly impact the formulation of motor oils in the future.
- The demand for full synthetic lubricants will continue to increase over the next 5 years and beyond.
Parman is dedicated to providing you with the products your customers need. If you have any questions or would like to request a quote contact us today.